Essential Oil Safety
Are Essential Oils Safe?
Young Living essential oils are potent, so you have to be cautious when you use them. Remember, a little goes a long way. There is a safety protocol to be aware of when using essential oils, but Young Living has made it easy for you to follow.
Key points to remember
- Read the product label before you use it.
- Some essential oils are considered “hot”, which means they will generate a burning sensation. When using these oils, always dilute them with a carrier oil.
- Less is more! You can always add another drop, so start slow, whether you’re using your oils topically, aromatically, or internally. Apply the oil to the bottom of your feet to test the effect, use a carrier oil, and only use 1-2 drops.
- Do not put essential oils in eyes, ears, nose, or other areas with sensitive skin.
- Pay attention to oils that are considered photosensitive. Read the product label to help determine which oils are categorized as such.
- In the event you get some oil in your eyes, don’t use water! Essential oils will not harm your eye, but you may experience a burning sensation. Put several drops of carrier oil on a tissue or cotton pad and touch it to the corner of your eye. If additional flushing is required, flush with more carrier oil or rice milk.
- Ingest only the Young Living Vitality line of essential oils. These are GRAs. Having said that, the Vitality oils and the regular colored labeled oils of the same oil are exactly the same. For FDA compliance, Young Living has labeled Vitality oils for ingesting, and the other colored label products for topical or aromatic use. Just remember that they are exactly the same.
- Keep your oils in a safe spot. You want to control how and when they are applied to you and your family and the effect they have on each person or pet.
WARNING: Beware of the "on-line" imposters
We strongly discourage people from purchasing their essential oils from on-line stores such as Amazon or eBay. It is possible for sellers to adulterate or dilute their oils and sell them as pure.
It is common for people to think that they are able to purchase their oils from these shops for less, but you will not receive a guarantee as to the purity of their product. Oils that have been adulterated may also contain ingredients that could potentially cause harm to the user.
Remember - you get what you pay for. Young Living provides the Seed-to-Seal promise of purity and quality.