Top essential oils to add to your collection
We all have favorites, but when it comes to essential oils, these 10 shine the brightest. Explore our most-coveted essential oils, along with usage tips and DIY tricks to get the most out of your collection.
Thieves essential oil blend
A staple in homes around the world, Thieves® essential oil blend may smell like the holidays captured in a bottle, but this versatile blend can be used year-round to create a refreshing environment. Featuring Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils, each drop creates an invigorating yet soothing aroma that captivates the senses and enhances your environment. Snag a few bottles of Thieves essential oil blend to keep your home smelling clean and bright during any season.
Your Thieves essential oil blend will really shine when you:
- Diffuse 8–20 drops in a diffuser of your choice
- Apply a few drops to the palms of your hands and then cup them around your nose to support a refreshing breathing experience
- Add a few drops to your dishwasher to eliminate odors
- Add 10 drops to your bath with 1 cup of Epsom salt
- Combine 1 drop with 4 drops of carrier oil and massage into your feet
- Make your own Thieves cleaning fizzies
Lavender essential oil
Was Lavender one of the first essential oils you ever tried? It’s no surprise! Lavender has been a favorite for thousands of years with a soothing aroma that creates a calming environment. Grown from seedlings and harvested on our very own Young Living farms, our Lavender stands out against the crowd as one of the most potent and high-quality oils on the market. Keep a bottle on hand to reap the many benefits of this flowery oil.
Here are the top ways you’ll want to use your Lavender essential oil:
- Dilute and apply to soothe the skin
- Add 8–20 drops to your diffuser to create a tranquil environment
- Add a few drops to the palms of your hands and breathe in for a moment of calm
- Apply 1–3 drops onto the temples of your forehead and gently massage in when your day overwhelms you
- Add 8–10 drops to a spray bottle with water. Spray onto your pillows before bed as part of your nightly routine
- DIY your own makeup remover pads
- Apply a few drops to your skin to create a soothing experience
Peppermint essential oil
An invigorating scent you’ll recognize in an instant, Peppermint essential oil is a go-to for a reason. It contains menthol, creating that familiar cooling sensation that soothes tired muscles. Peppermint is a staple in anyone’s essential oil collection.
The best ways to break out your Peppermint essential oil are:
- Sprinkle a few drops into your shower for a refreshing morning rinse
- Diffuse to create a sharp environment while doing school or work
- Mix with V–6™ Vegetable Oil Complex and massage into tired muscles following physical activity
- Mix 20–30 drops with one cup of baking soda to create a refreshing carpet powder
- Keep your laundry smelling fresh with your own DIY laundry blend
- Add a few drops to your toothpaste or mouthwash for fresher breath
Frankincense essential oil
Used for thousands of years as a vital part of religious rituals, Frankincense is considered a holy oil in the Middle East. Its musky, grounding scent makes Frankincense oil a favorite for those who enjoy meditation or other calming practices. The oil is obtained from the resin of Boswellia carterii trees in northern Africa to capture that enriching scent that’s been sought after for millennia. Including the naturally occurring constituents alpha-pinene, limonene, and sabinene, Frankincense oil can help to create a relaxing, calm environment with just a few drops.
You can make the most of this marvel of the ages when you:
- Add a few drops to your favorite moisturizer for a healthy-looking glow
- Diffuse 8–10 drops to deepen your meditative practice
- Add 10–12 drops to our Bath & Shower Base Gel to create a relaxing shower experience
- Create a holiday diffuser blend to tell the story of Christmas
- Create a gentle belly rub for expecting mammas
Purification essential oil blend
Our Purification® essential oil blend is one of our most sought-out blends. Young Living Founder D. Gary Young designed and crafted this blend to cleanse the air and freshen up spaces with its invigorating scent. Blended from Citronella, Lavandin, Lemongrass, Myrtle, Rosemary, and Tea Tree essential oils, this musky yet clean aroma can turn any room into a freshened-up paradise.
To fully enjoy your Purification essential oil blend, be sure to:
- Add 1–2 drops to your car diffuser to fight odors that come with carpools, pets, and anything in between
- Add a few drops to a water bottle filled with distilled water for a quick and easy room spray
- Drizzle a few drops over a cotton ball and place in vents to cleanse the air of unwanted odors
- Sneak 3–4 drops into your laundry detergent for some added freshness
- Create your own garbage disposal refreshers
Lemon essential oil
Fresh and uplifting, no essential oil collection is complete without the zesty aroma of Lemon essential oil. This sunshine in a bottle can help brighten your days with its cheery scent. When it comes to cleaning and freshening up your home, you’ll want Lemon oil in your corner. Incorporate it into your daily routine and feel brighter day by day.
To start blending Lemon essential oil into your day:
- Diffuse a few drops in the morning to start off on the right side of the bed
- Use during long travel days for a comforting experience
- Feeling butterflies in your stomach? Add a few drops to the palms of your hands and breathe deeply while you recenter
- Add to home cleaning products for added freshness
- Use Lemon Vitality™ essential oil to sip on your own homemade lemonade!
Stress Away essential oil blend
When life gets overwhelming, Stress Away™ essential oil blend is here to transport you to smoother times. This intoxicating aroma is made with a blend of Copaiba, Lime, Cedarwood, Vanilla, Ocotea, and Lavender essential oils to invite relaxation and a calming environment. D. Gary Young blended this one himself, and it’s become one of our top-selling oil blends! Add Stress Away blend to your collection and combat stressful times with this soothing scent.
Take on stress with these easy tips:
- When times get tough, diffuse a few drops to create a relaxing environment
- Add to your favorite skin and hair products for a boost of relaxation
- Create your own in-home spa experience by adding Stress Away blend to your massage oils
- Add a few drops to some coconut oil and massage into your beard for a fresh aroma that sticks with you throughout the day
- Get Stress Away Bath Bombs for a mindful and relaxing experience
From fresh-baked cookies to vanilla bean ice cream, the warm and inviting scent of vanilla is one that’s familiar to us all. Now, thanks to Young Living’s first-of-its-kind extraction method, you can capture this yummy scent in a bottle! Our Vanilla oleoresin’s creamy, comforting scent creates a calming environment you’ll want to savor.
To sweeten your day with Vanilla oleoresin, remember to:
- Add to your bath products for an extra-relaxing experience
- Diffuse for a homey, comforting atmosphere
- Add to the skin, hair, and scalp for added moisture
- Add a few drops to your temples and breathe in while you remember positive memories
- Create your own DIY lotion bars
Peace & Calming essential oil blend
All is calm and all is bright no matter what season it is when you have this essential oil blend on hand. Peace & Calming® essential oil blend combines the soothing properties of Blue Tansy, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang essential oils to create a peaceful blend designed by D. Gary Young himself to help calm the mind. With the naturally occurring constituents limonene and patchoulol, this blend is another Young Living favorite for any season.
Center yourself with these simple Peace & Calming blend tips:
- Apply topically to unwind after a long day
- Create a relaxing environment when diffused or inhaled
- Massage into the bottoms of your feet as part of your nightly routine
- Add to V-6™ Vegetable Complex and massage into tired muscles
- Add to baby wipes for a calming experience
R.C. essential oil blend
With a powerful blend of Cypress, Spruce, and three types of Eucalyptus oils, D. Gary Young designed this essential oil blend to enhance the breathing experience. With a dash of Peppermint oil adding a cooling sensation, R.C. essential oil blend is an experience from the moment you unscrew the bottle.
Keep up yours or your loved one’s respiratory care using these tips:
- Diffuse its relaxing aroma in stuffy environments
- Inhale or apply topically to enhance the sensation of deeper, fuller breaths
- Apply to the forehead for a soothing release or to the chest for a refreshing breathing experience
- Inhale before exercising to enhance your workout performance
- Diffuse before bedtime as part of your nightly routine
Want to find almost all these essential oils and blends in one place? Our new Premium Aroma Loyalty bundle includes 9 of our 10 favorites!
Learning new ways to add essential oils to your day-to-day? Check out the biggest essential oil mistakes you’ll want to avoid, and read our open letter to oil newbies!