Baked Apples with Cinnamon & Nutmeg Streusel
This is a simple way to serve your family a delicious dessert without a lot of effort. A wonderful bonus is how it will fill your home with the scents of Fall as the apples are baking with their buttery, spice-filled goodness.
Prep/Cooking: 1 hour
• 1/2 cup oats
• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 6 tbsp butter (cold, not room temperature)
• 1 drop Ginger Vitality ™
• 1 drop Cinnamon Bark Vitality™
• 1 drop Nutmeg Vitality ™
• 1 drop Thieves Vitality™
• 1/2 cup dried,chopped fruit (Use whatever mix of dried fruit you like – cranberries, apricots, raisins, dates, cherries, to name a few.)
• 4 large baking apples- Gala, Rome Beauty, Fuji, Braeburn, are good choices
* optional- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans, Ice cream, whipped cream, and your favorite caramel topping make delicious additions.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pie pan or other suitable oven proof dish with nonstick spray.
- In a food processor, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and nuts , if you are adding them. Pulse just to mix. Add butter and pulse until the
mixture is crumbly. Transfer mixture to a glass bowl.
- Add the Vitality essential oils and dried, chopped fruit to the streusel mixture and blend well. Put in the refrigerator while you prepare the apples.
- Slice off a small portion of the bottom of each apple to male a flat bottom so that they can stand up straight in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Core the apples with a paring knife, making sure not to go all of the way to the bottom. Get out all of the stiff center and seeds. If you do go through to the bottom, just sit the apple inside a piece of foil arranged around the entire bottom and up the sides. You don’t want any of that buttery goodness to escape as it bakes!
- Spoon struesel mixture into each apple, making sure that it is packed down into the apple, but allowing it to overflow onto the top of the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the apples are tender and allow a sharp knife to pierce it easily.
- These are delicious on their own, but a scoop of vanilla ice cream is a wonderful addition to consider!