Upgrade your breakfast: Apple pumpkin spice baked oats
Breakfast blahs making it difficult to get excited about the most important meal of the day? It’s time to spice up your morning meal with apple pumpkin spice baked oatmeal. Oatmeal, really? Hear us out: With so much more nutrition and yum factor than your basic bowl of oatmeal, this delicious, cake-like recipe brings dessert to mind while giving you the nutrients you need to kick-start your day.
Apple Pumpkin Spice Baked Oats
Welcome to a fall-inspired burst of flavor! Using crisp apples, pumpkin puree, and Cinnamon Bark Vitality™ essential oil, this recipe will bring on the cozy vibes. With minimal effort and ingredients you already have in your kitchen, a nutritious, irresistible breakfast is close by. This recipe makes four 8-ounce servings.
- 1 apple, sliced into thin, bite-sized pieces
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled or quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup almond or other dairy or plant-based milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice, to taste
- 4–6 drops Cinnamon Bark Vitality, to taste*
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut apples into thin, bite-sized slices and set aside. For an added boost of flavor, sprinkle ½ teaspoon of cinnamon on the apple slices and toss to incorporate.
- Place banana, oats, baking powder, salt, pumpkin puree, eggs, milk, maple syrup, and Cinnamon Vitality into a blender and blend until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Add apple slices into the batter and fold through with a spoon or silicone spatula to incorporate.
- Grease oven-safe ramekins or other small, oven-safe dishes with cooking oil.
- Pour the blended batter into the dishes, about ¾ full to leave room for it to expand.
Spiced Crumble Topping
This simple cinnamon-nutmeg topping adds extra flavor and texture to your dish. Though we think it’s delicious, this step is optional.
Place all ingredients into a bowl. With clean hands or a wooden spoon, mix well until mixture reaches a crumbly consistency with some larger chunks. Top filled ramekins with the crumble.
YL tip: Instead of the crumble topping, you can try out other fun toppings and ingredients like pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, dark chocolate chips, nut butter, or berries.
To bake in the oven:
Place your ramekins on a baking sheet for mess-free baking. Bake in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
YL tip: If you do not have small, oven-safe dishes, pour all the batter into any greased baking dish and cook at 350° F for about 20–25 minutes, until the surface is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares and serve with your desired toppings.
To cook in the microwave:
If you aren’t in the mood to wait for this decadent treat, place your ramekin in the microwave for 2–3 minutes until the mixture is fully cooked.
Allow it to cool for 1–2 minutes before serving. Top with maple syrup or nut butter and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy!
YL tip: This dessert-like dish doesn’t need to be reserved only for breakfast. Whip it up any time you have a sweet tooth!
The post Upgrade your breakfast: Apple pumpkin spice baked oats appeared first on Young Living Blog.