FAQs and the Basics
- See articles on many of the common issues and questions -
10 Biggest Essential Oil Mistakes
7 Answers to the Most Common Essential Oil Questions
An Essential Oil User’s Guide to Aromatherapy
An Insider’s Guide to Creating Diffuser Blends
Animals and Oils: What You Need to Know
Are You Ready to Break Up With Your Toxic Makeup?
Common questions when purchasing a Young Living Starter kit.
Why does Young Living ask for my Social Security number?
Young Living members can earn "thank you" checks if they share their referral link with someone who then uses it to make a purchase. Because you have the potential to earn money, Young Living will need your Social Security number for tax purposes. Though remember, you may leave money on the table if you do not provide it.
However, you are not required to provide your Social Security number if you do not wish to when you purchase your Premium Starter kit membership.
Do I need to pay a membership fee every year?
Do I need to make a monthly purchase to be a wholesale member?
Do I need to sell Young Living products when I become a member?
Why should I buy from Young Living when there are cheaper options from other companies?
How about purchasing Young Living products on Amazon?
Young Living does not sell products or oils on Amazon. You can only get them directly from Young Living, or through an independent distributor. The bottles you see on Amazon may look brand new, but you have no idea what is in there - anyone can sell on Amazon. If you encounter problems with the product or oil, resolution will be difficult or impossible. Young Living guarantees the quality and sourcing - if something is broken or leaking, Young Living will replace it.
How many drops of oil are in a bottle?
Each 5ml bottle contains approximately 80-90 drops of oil.
Each 15ml bottle contains approximately 250-270 drops of oil.
Are essential oils safe?
First off, let me say that I am not against allopathic medicine. I will happily go to a doctor if I need emergency care or surgery. I thank the Lord for those gifted people. In general though, I want to work on disease prevention and pursue a healthy wellness mindset. I have found that the best way for me to do this is through a Young Living wellness lifestyle.
Let's take a look at some medical statistics.
From the World Health Organization website:
- Conservatively, the WHO estimates that patient harm is the 14th leading cause of morbidity and mortality across the world.
- Estimates show that in high-income countries, 1 in 10 patients is harmed while receiving hospital care.
- Unsafe medication practices and medication errors are a leading cause of avoidable harm in health care practices around the world.
- 15% of health-related spending is wasted dealing with all aspects of adverse events.
- Hospital infections affect 14 out of every 100 patients admitted.
From the U.S. National Library of Medicine - Medline Plus
- People who take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, other than aspirin) such as ibuprofen may have a higher risk of having a heart attack or stroke than people who do not take these medications.
- Common warning: "...may cause ulcers, bleeding, or holes in the stomach or intestine. These problems may develop at any time during treatment, may happen without warning symptoms, and may cause death."
I could go on, but you get the idea. These are institutions and products we trust and use, but rarely think of the risks involved when we use them.
Now, let us take a look at essential oils.
There hasn't been a death related to the use of essential oils.
There is a safety protocol to be aware of when using essential oils, but Young Living has made it easy for you to follow:
- Read the product label before you use it.
- Some essential oils are considered "hot", which means they will generate a burning sensation. When using these oils, always dilute them with a carrier oil.
- As you learn about oils and their impact to you, start by adhering to the "low and slow" method. Apply the oil to the bottom of your feet to test the effect, use a carrier oil, and only use 1-2 drops.
- Pay attention to oils that are considered photosensitive. Read the product label to help determine which oils are categorized as such.
- In the event you get some oil in your eyes, don't use water! Essential oils will not harm your eye, but you may experience a burning sensation. Put several drops of carrier oil on a tissue or cotton pad and touch it to the corner of your eye. If additional flushing is required, flush with more carrier oil or rice milk.
- Ingest only the Young Living Vitality line of essential oils. These are GRAs. Having said that, the Vitality oils and the regular colored labeled oils of the same oil are exactly the same. For FDA compliance, Young Living has labeled Vitality oils for ingesting, and the other colored label products for topical or aromatic use. Just remember that they are exactly the same.
- Keep your oils in a safe spot. You want to control how and when they are applied to you and your family and the effect they have on each person or pet.
What is Essential Rewards?
Essential Rewards is a Young Living program designed to encourage you and reward you for a commitment to wellness.
Earn reward points for purchases made through this program.
- For months 1-3, you can earn points equaling 10% of your order.
- For months 4-24, you can earn points equaling 20% of your order.
- For month 25 and greater, you can earn points equaling 25% of your order.
These points can be redeemed to purchase Young Living products when you choose. Reward points equal free products!
For more information: See Essential Rewards Explained
What is YL Go and YL Go+
Subscribe and take advantage of a program that offers fast, easy, and free shipping credits with priority order processing—exclusively for our Essential Rewards (ER) members!
These subscriptions could save you over $122.64—or more than 10 times the amount you are currently paying each year!
For more information, see YL GO Explained
What is a Quick Order?
A quick order can be placed at any time. Anyone with a Young Living account who is able to access the Virtual Office has the ability to place a Quick Order. It is not part of the Essential Rewards program for ordering, but it does allow you the opportunity to utilize the points you have earned through Essential Rewards orders. You can purchase most of Young Living's products with ER points, not not all of them.
These orders do not count toward your monthly points total.
What is Virtual Office?
How do I sign up for Young Living?
Common questions about the Essential Rewards subscription program
How do I subscribe to the Essential Rewards program?
You can subscribe in one of two easy ways:
1. Online through Virtual Office
2. By phone at 1.800.371.3515
If I want to cancel my subscription to the Essential Rewards program, can I do so online?
No. All Essential Rewards subscription cancellations must be over the phone with one of our helpful Member Services agents.
How many points do I earn for my Essential Rewards subscription order?
Is there a minimum PV for my monthly Essential Rewards subscription order?
Yes. Your monthly order in the U.S. must be at least 50 PV to qualify.
Can I change the items in my Essential Rewards subscription order and still receive all the benefits of the program?
Yes. You can change the items any time until 12 a.m. (midnight), MT, on your processing date, which is determined by you when you subscribe to the program.
How many points can I redeem each month?
You can redeem up to 375 points each month.
If I cancel my Essential Rewards subscription, do I lose my points?
If you cancel your subscription, you forfeit all unused Essential Rewards points. You must contact Member Services to cancel your subscription. Your monthly subscription to the program, if resumed, will accumulate points again at the 10 percent level.
Do I retain points earned for returned products?
No. You forfeit any points earned on products that you later return.
How do I redeem my points?
You can redeem your points online at checkout by selecting “Apply Points” or by contacting Member Services at 1.800.371.3515. More information on point redemption can be found by logging in to Virtual Office and viewing the ER tutorials.
How soon can I redeem points that I earn?
You earn points the minute your subscription order is shipped. You can redeem points any time after you have been subscribed to the program for two months.
When redeeming Essential Rewards points, do I go by the dollar amount or the PV amount in the price list?
When redeeming points, use the PV amount rather than the dollar value. For example, if you have 50 points, you can redeem them for any product with a PV value up to 50. Essential Rewards points can only be redeemed for products with full PV values. Not all products are eligible, and items purchased with Essential Rewards points are not returnable.
Do I need to place an order every month?
Yes. The Essential Rewards program offers rewards for shipments that process each month. Discounted shipping, earning loyalty gifts and rewards points, and maintaining higher rewards points percentages are contingent upon placing consecutive orders.
Can I use my points for promotional products such as discounted items?
You can buy any regularly available products at regular price as part of your Essential Rewards subscription order, but you will not receive the discounted pricing if the item is part of your Essential Rewards points order. Some promotional items may not be available for purchase at all using Essential Rewards points. Essential Rewards kits are not eligible, and some products are restricted for a time after they are released, such as products launched during our annual International Grand Convention. Contact Member Services at 1.800.371.3515 if you have questions about specific items.
Do my points expire?
Yes. Unused points expire on a 12-month rolling basis, meaning they expire 12 months from when they were earned.
Didn't Find Your Answer Above?
Contact Us and We Will Do Our Best to Help